Date:      10 Jan 1998 20:17:35 -0000
From:      alchemy@inconnect.com
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: International ispell

On Fri Jan  9, 1998 at 22:10:17 -0800, Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  * What would it take to get someone to port ispell with support for more
>  * languages (besides French)?  Specifically, I would like to see Spanish
>  * and British and "American" support working together in my ispell.
>  * Ideally, a menu (similar to Ghostscript's printer driver selection
>  * menu) listing all available languages would be excellent.
>  *
>  * I tried to hack the ispell tarball and the port myself, but I couldn't
>  * get it to work.
>
> Are you sure you can get them work "together"?  Say, I wrote chambre,
> is my French/English ispell going to correct me?

Yes, I've done it before.  However, you do have to supply a command
switch to specify a language.  I.e.: ispell -d deutsch filename.
Ispell will only work with one language at a time, but it's still nice
to have multiple language support. :-)

> I think the better thing to do is to have ispell install different
> binaries that use different names.  (Or install one binary with
> symlinks for different names, and have it check argv[0] to pick the
> appropriate dictionary.)

That's a good idea, but it renders it incompatible with programs like
XEmacs, which only know how to run the "ispell" bin.  Your second
suggestion might work, though.

--
Anthony C. Chavez <alchemy@inconnect.com>