Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:11:08 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        Zigron <zigron@usa.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1-STABLE and usb mice?

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Zigron wrote:
> Ever since I upgraded to 4.1-STABLE  (about a week and a half ago, via
> CVSup), i've been having trouble with my Microsoft Intellimouse
> Explorer. The mouse-driver seems to die/crash in situations where my HDD
> is rather busy, e.g. copying huge files, doing big-greps, etcetera.
>
> Here's the error messages given on the console:
>
> ---
>
> Aug 21 11:16:42 Jeremy /kernel: uhub0: port error, restarting port 2
> Aug 21 11:16:43 Jeremy /kernel: ums0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr
> 2) disconnected
> Aug 21 11:16:43 Jeremy /kernel: ums0: detached
> Aug 21 11:16:43 Jeremy moused: unable to open /dev/ums0: Device not
> configured
>
> ---
>
> Then it registers a reconnection and its fine, btu then it dies again, and
> so on, and so forth. Currently I have two mice installed so I can at least
> navigate myself out of X-windows when this occurs.
>
> I'm not sure what's up :) I can not guarantee I did not have the problem
> before the upgrade to 4.1, since this isn't exactly always regular or
> consistantly reproducable (just usually), but I was running FreeBSD for a
> couple weeks w/o a hitch and w/ the mouse fine.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer. :)
>
> --Stephen

If you still have the USB to PS/2 adapter which should have come with your
mouse use the PS/2 port for the mouse and in /etc/XF86Config, use this:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol		"IntelliMouse"
   Device		"/dev/mouse"
   ZAxisMapping		 4 5
EndSection

Now, if you make install /usr/ports/x11/imwheel, your wheel will work, also.  I
use the M$ IntelliMouse w/IntelliEye and have never had a bit of problem with
it in any BSD, Linux or Windows.

Dave