Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:03:53 +0100 (CET)
From:      Tor Stormwall <tor@agent.creson.com>
To:        Morsal Rodbay <morsal@swipnet.se>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tuning KDE

Hi!

Since the KDE project released their 2.0 some while ago, KDE couldn't
run on old machines because they programmed all things in new libraries
that required stronger hardware. The KDE project seem not to care
about hardware because the machines have been really fast the
last few years.

You can use simple configurations. Turn off everything that handles
graphics. Run evertying as low as you can. I dont know if other KDE
programs, like kwrite and kmail, have anything to do with the speed, but
you can try and deinstall things you dont use. Use only the things that
are the most neccerary stuff. Use simple backgrounds etc.
Maybe you can recompile both QT and KDE with minimal includes. And by that
I mean that you sould disable as much as you can. You may work on it a bit
but give it a shot.

> Hi,
> I'm running KDE 2.2 on a slow Celeron 366 box and I was wondering if there
> is anything I can change in order to make things load faster because that is
> the only thing that bothers me, the load time. (cant afford upgrading the
> hardware) :)

Best Regards,
Tor Stormwall

|   M A Y   T H E   S O U R C E   B E   W I T H   Y O U   |
| Tor Stormwall                 mailto:tor@stormwall.org  |
| http://creson.com/~tor	http://www.FreeBSD.org	  |