Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 14:10:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   weirdness with a directory named ~

I have a question that I really don't know where to send, but since I'm
just subscribed to hackers....
	Anyway, the other day I had a directory I wanted to move to my
home directory. I did "mv dirname ~" Well, I didn't realize it till later,
but what it did was make a directory named ~ in the directory that I did
that from! I had some problems deleting it. When I did "cd ~" from there,
it took me to my home directory, and when I did "rm -ir ~" it wanted to
delete files in my home directory. I ended up backing up my home
directory, doing an "rm -rf ~" which deleted my whole home directory. But
the ~ direcotry was still there! I tried rmdir ~, but it just said my home
directory didn't exist. Finally I deleted it from emacs, which hadn't
worked when my home directory existed.
	My question is: why did it do this?!?!? Also, how hard would it be
to make things so it would look for ./~, then if that file/direcotry
doesn't exist, then check for a home directory? Or is that even a good
idea?

-----
In computer terms, hardware is the stuff you can hit with a baseball bat,
and software is the stuff you can only swear at.
   -from a web page explaining what hardware, software, and firmware are
----