Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:27:08 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net> wrote:

> >      Unless you or someone else are willing to write a nice, user-
> > friendly program, I don't think much is going to come of this.  I think
> > most developers believe/understand that FreeBSD is lacking in many areas
> > of user-friendliness, and complaining about it (no matter how correct
> > you are) often does not lead to a successful outcome.
>
> The problem is far more political than that. The only acceptable contribution
> must be of the "complete working code" form. The directors of this project ar
> unwilling to allow outsiders to specify a plan and implement it incrementally
> .

     True, true.

     However, that still doesn't mean that you can't write such a
beast.  You can either just use it yourself, or make it available on
some other site.  For example, a while back, I wrote a nice,
X11/GTK-based GUI wrapper for downloading FreeBSD packages (displays
available packages, handles dependencies, etc.).  While I find it
useful, I've never distributed it because it has a few rough edges, and
I didn't want to get into any -- well let's just call them "arguments".

> >      You only need the CVS tree to be on one local system (if you don't
> > want to use the public ones).
> The only "local" system is the one in my lap :-) I'm "connected" much of the
> time, but not continuously.

     I'm in a similar situation (w/laptop).

     However, in order to install a port, don't you need a net
connection?  I understand that you're not always connected, but don't
you have to have a connection to install a port (to download the
distfile, assuming that you don't already have it).  If so, you should
be able to access a CVS repository, whether they're the main FreeBSD
ones, or some local one.

     I, too, don't have enough space on my laptop for a full CVS
database.  However, I have a system at home that mirrors the FreeBSD CVS
trees via CVSup, and I do CVS updates off my home system.  If you need
"disconnected" access, you can always make snapshots of the CVS
repositories and put them onto CDR or CDRW.  Everything won't fit onto a
single CD, but you can separate the major parts ("ports", "src", "doc",
etc.) and put them each onto different CDROMs (I believe you'll also
have to duplicate CVSROOT on each CDROM, but that shouldn't be a
problem).

[ Well, "src" is problematic.  It's getting close to the limit of a
  CDROM.  ]

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com