Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 22:05:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com (Robert Withrow)
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Re: Building powerpc-freebsd compilers on ix86-freebsd

> I'm looking for guidance on generating cross compilers for
> a powerpc-freebsd target on a ix86-freebsd host.  I'm assuming that
> the alpha freebsd port developers had to do a similar thing.
>
> I've scanned through the gcc-2.95.2 core distribution and I
> don't see anything in it for freebsd on alphas, so I'm at a
> loss to understand what works for the alpha.  (Did the necessary
> changes not make it back into the gcc codestream?)
>
> I see openbsd and some netbsd stuff for alpha (and powerpc) but
> it isn't clear what is important for freebsd and what isn't.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Please mail to me directly.

In my personal experience, I used GCC on AIX on PPC to do the
work.

My suggestion would be to host the port starting on NetBSD for
PPC, now that it exists, and work toward a replacement kernel
first, from there.

That is what I believe the FreeBSD Alpha people did.

This gives you the same tool chain ad roughly the same
environment that you are targetting.

Is this an iMac based port?  I worked on a Motorolla PowerSTAC
based port (PPCBug instead of Open Firmware), which I had booting
single user, before I moved from Tucson and had to send the
loaner hardware back to Motorolla... if you can finde a PowerSTAC,
I might be able to mount it up and get you the (~3 year old) code,
if you think it would help.  Pretty much, though, I'd bet you
would be better off with a modern NetBSD that boots multiuser
instead of an antique FreeBSD that boots single user.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.