Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 16:53:08 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Annihilator <annihilator.c@usa.net>
Cc:        jdp@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: pptpclient-1.0.2

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 10:51:09PM +0200, Annihilator wrote:
>     Many people prefer kernel-ppp to the userland program. There are two
> things that you could do to make life easier for them:
> 1) Create two separate ports, or
> 2) Allow the user to choose at compile-time (if not run-time) which ppp
> should be used.

(Disclaimer: I have never actually run or used pptpclient.)

Are you certain that pptpclient even works with pppd under FreeBSD?
If it doesn't, and if it would require a lot of rewriting/patching
to work, then it would be likely done better by the authors themselves,
not as a FreeBSD port patch.

Besides - are you really sure that 'many people prefer kernel-ppp'?
Almost every FreeBSD user *I* know about is perfectly happy with
the userland PPP implementation, which has many features, is constantly
developed, and is *very* well integrated with the overall FreeBSD-way
of doing things.  Great job, Brian!

G'luck,
Peter

--
What would this sentence be like if pi were 3?