Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:30:19 -0400
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Cc:        Marcelo Maraboli <marcelo.maraboli@usm.cl>, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Tool for validating sender address as spam-fighting technique?

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 12:00 -0400, Marcelo Maraboli wrote:
>>

>>> I agree..... callbacks are not enough, you can reach a
>>> false conclusion, thatīs why I use SPF along with callbacks...
>>>
>>> on the same message, my MX concludes:
>>>
>>> "you are sending email "from chad@shire.net", but shire.net
>>> says YOUR IP address is not allowed to send email on behalf
>>> of that domain, therefore YOU ARE FAKE/FORGED" ..---> reject
>>>
>>> regards,
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean by callbacks but if that involves talking to
>> mx.example.com and trying to figure out if cmdr.sinclair@example.com is
>> a valid address go ahead. I would consider a mailserver that answers
>> that question a security risk as it is freely giving away information
>> about your domain without notifying you. For a long time my mx servers
>> would answer any such question in the affirmative regardless of whether
>> or not the mail account existed.
>
> Address verification callbacks take various forms, but the way exim does
> it by default is to attempt to start a DSN delivery to the address and
> if the RCPT TO is accepted it is affirmative.  It is not usually use
> VRFY.  Most address verification is done by attempting to start some
> sort of delivery to the address.

I'm assuming that DSN is Delivery Service Notification or return
receipt. If it is or if it somehow relies on the ability to deliver a
message via smtp to *@example.com then I don't see how it prevents spam.

>> As the above poster says SPF is the way to go. SPF gives the receiving
>> MTA a mechanism to vet inbound mail. For any combination of <mail
>> server> and <from address/from domain> there are three possible results
>> from an SPF check: The server is allowed to send mail for the domain;
>> The server is not allowed to send mail for the domain; And I cannot tell
>> because the owner of the domain hasn't published an SPF record. The only
>> problem with SPF is that it's not more widely implemented so the third
>> response is sadly more common than the first two.
>
> I believe it also breaks when you have forwards.

I'm not sure that I would classify it as breakage. I always confuse
these but there is a problem with SPF vis-a-vis remails or old style
bounces of messages. The delivery from address specified as mail-from in
the smtp dialog and the envelope from specified in the mail's headers
will differ. And the one that SPF checks is the smtp dialog mail-from
address. So a spammer can setup SPF for his domain and mail will false
positive in the SPF check but the MTA can add a header which lists the
original sender. E.g. jrandomspammer@spamsource.com lists himself as the
sender of a mail and lists smtp.spamsource.com as a valid source of mail
for his domain. He crafts an email with a from address of
curry@example.com and fires is off to you. I'm fairly certain that my
MTA, postfix, will add an Original-Sender: jrandomspammer@spamsource.com
header to any message that comes in under these circumstances. I
wouldn't be surprised if my Bayes filter is keying on this header.

In the end internet email is built on a flawed protocol. It'd be great
if you could verify that the letter that you got passed was really sent
by the person who name was really sent in the mail-from part of the smtp
handshake but you can't. For my part I neither want to burden people who
want to send me email with the chore of having to vet themselves nor
wade through excessive amounts of spam. I greylist with spamd and then
filter with spamassassin and it's Bayes filter. I find that this
combination works very well at negligible cost to people who want to
send me mail. YMMV

-- Chris

       __o          "All I was doing was trying to get home from work."
     _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                      chris | at | vindaloo.com

                   pgp: f5:30:0a:54:e1:55:76:9b:1f:47:0b:07:e9:75:0e:14