Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:05:06 +1000 (EST)
From:      Warren Toomey <wkt@henry.cs.adfa.oz.au>
To:        guido@gvr.org (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mirroring

In article by Guido van Rooij:
> Hi,
>
> I just discovered that the ducth mirror site no longer is up to date.
> Somehow there must have gone something wrong with the error script. Anyway,
> I used to mirror the stuff with:
> rsync --client -avz --exclude '*.tar.gz' www.freebsd.org:www $HOME/data
>
> However, rsync was replaced by another version on that system. It
> no longer (or not yet!?) supports the --client option.
>
> Now, what is the correct way to mirror the www tree?

Get the old rsync client from

ftp://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/rsync

Build it, rename it as oldrsync, and use this version!

Cheers,
	Warren

P.S The author of rsync, Andrew Tridgell, is working on a proper rsync
daemon in the newer releases. Once it supports caching of checksums at
the server end (to lessen the load of recalculating them for each client),
I will verify that it works well, and suggest that we switch to the new
version for mirroring.