Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:30:33 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        "Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" <vova@express.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video capture for laptops

"Vladimir B. Grebenschikov" wrote:

> Andresen,Jason R. writes:
>
>  > Does anybody know of any PCMCIA video capture cards that work under
>  > FreeBSD?  I know this is a longshot, but I'm hoping there is some little
>  > obscure company that is producting bt848 based PCMCIA cards that my
>  > net searches simply havn't turned up.
>
> I know that sony VAIO laptops have onboard vidio input/output
> controller and port (i.Link) possible to transfer vidio, but I havn't
> heared about FreeBSD driver for it :(
>
> I think it about this port:
> chip1: <Sony CXD1847A FireWire Host Controller> at device 9.0 on pci0

I've actually looked into those Sony Motion-Eye cameras.  They use a
special Yamaha chip that connects to the PCI bus.  There is a very Linux
centric userland program that can suck data off of the camera on some
VAIO laptops, but would require major hackery to get working under
FreeBSD.

The Linux program can be found on http://samba.org/picturebook/

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org