Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:22:21 +0100
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@asemantics.com>
To:        Linh Pham <question@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Apache 1.3 segfaulting in 5.2.1-RC?

On Feb 18, 2004, at 5:38 PM, Linh Pham wrote:

> Has anyone ran into problems with Apache 1.3.x segfaulting (signal 11)
> under FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC[12]? I had to recently re-install FreeBSD on my
> home server and grabbed the latest src-all for RELENG_5_2, which ended
> up being for 5.2.1-RC2. Afterwards, I compiled and installed Apache 1.3
> plus PHP5 and PostgreSQL and got it up and running without any
> problems.

Easiest thing is to obtain a core dump; see the man page for 'ulimit',
check
'/etc/login.conf' and the apache directive for this.

Otherwise - if it happens a LOT - you can run (from screen if needed)

	gdb /usr/local/sbin/httpd -X

it will then run single process/thread mode; and if there is a segfault
you'll
inmediately see the culprit. This is generally too slow for a production
server; but will easily handle hobby sites.

Given your setup my guess is some PHP5 plugin (I had similar issues
until I fixed/recompiled gd).

Dw.