Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:13:55 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Marius <mbking0@vm.sc.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinval buf: dirty bufs

On Sunday, 18 July 1999 at 17:14:46 -0400, Marius wrote:

>     Appearently I have a problem whenever I try to surf the web with Netscape.
> If I can seeminly surf till my heart is content, but it creates problems
> later.  I need only look at half a dosen web sites, and then I cannot shutdown
> properly.  When I try to shutdown I get this error:
>
> panic
> vinval buf: dirty bufs
> automatic reboot in 15 seconds

This is a serious kernel problem, probably in the disk subsystem.

>      When I let it reboot, It tells me that root was not properly dismounted,
> but recovers:
>
> warning / not properly dismounted
> /dev/rwd0s2a SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD (SALVAGED)
> /dev/rwd0s2a BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS (SALVAGED)

Yes, you'll almost always get something like this after a panic.

>      It then goes on to check the other partitions, and everything is O.K.
> I can find no reference to this in the handbook or the archives.  Does anyone
> know what is going on here?  So far everything has been salvaged time and
> time again, but it is frightning to think that at some point it may not
> recover.
>      As a side note, I have another problem that may be unrelated.  Often
> X cannot allocate all the colormap entries I need for the display in a
> session. For example, there is no way I can open Netscape and xcoloredit in
> the same x-session.  I would have to quit x and restart the session if I want
> to run xcoloredit in a session.

This suggests that you're running 8 bit colour.  If you can, use 16
bits.  But the messages are harmless, and they're almost certainly
unrelated.

I can't imagine what your problem is.  It's possible that it's related
to your hardware.  To even get close to the problem, we'd need to know
what your hardware and software configuration is.  Probably we'd need
a panic dump as well.

Greg