Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:48:04 -0400
From:      DW <spock@dwinner.net>
To:        Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount privileges...what the heck?

Robert C Wittig wrote:
> DW wrote:
>
>> So any ideas on why I need to do a chown -R dude:dude after the first
>> mount?????? Am I missing something, going insane, or is something
>> buggy here????
>
> You created the directory as root:
>
> # mkdir /usr/home/dude/drive2
>
> ...so it belongs to root.
no, the first time this was my thought too, I've been known to do stuff
like this, especially since so much activity is done with 'sudo', but we
went back (each of us on our respective machines), and did it again,
making sure we were doing it as 'dude', not sudo or 'root', and it
happened every time.

> I can only assume that...
>
> 'Ownership on mount point:     dude:dude /usr/home/dude/drive2'
>
> ...does not mean that you actually did a
>
> # chown dude:dude /usr/home/dude/drive2
>
> ...which is necessary, after root creates a directory.
>

> Why didn't you just log in as dude to create the directory that was
> going to serve as the mount point, as in:
>
> % mkdir /usr/home/dude/drive2 ...or
> $ mkdir /usr/home/dude/drive2
I swear, that's what we did!!!! :) Maybe I'm losing it?, but we went
back and verified and verified, and still scratching our heads.