Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 23:37:51 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.com.au>
To:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree86 xsetpointer causes silo overflows (Was: Re: Fixed my MAMEd  sio problem.)

The big problem is that the silo overflows continue after I have
returned the pointer to the mouse (with "xsetpointer pointer").

This should close the joystick device shouldn't it ?

If it doesn't then there is a problem with either the X server
or FreeBSD.

Bruce has already indicated that there is a problem with the
FreeBSD joystick driver but he thought it should stop when the
joystick device is closed but I see that the problem continues
until I restart the X server so that would seem to indicate a
problem with the X server.

David Dawes wrote:

> On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 01:20:01AM +0930, Matthew Thyer wrote:
> >I have confirmed that the problem occurs if I just do:
> >
> >  xsetpointer Joystick
> >  sleep 1
> >  xsetpointer pointer
> >
> >So M.A.M.E. is unrelated to the problem as Bruce Evans would suggest.
> >
> >So the problem appears to be with XFree86 not closing the joystick
> >device after I've used it as a pointer with 'xsetpointer'.
>
> The problem is in the joystick driver (or are silo overflows acceptable
> while you actually want to use the joystick?).
>
> >I am sure I am using xsetpointer correctly as I can use my PC joystick
> >as a pointing device (once I calibrate it).
> >
> >I was just using xsetpointer with an incorrectly calibrated joystick
> >so it moved the pointer to the top left corner of the screen in my
> >xmame.sh shell script (I'd like to know how to do this another way).
>
> A better way would be a small X client that uses XWarpPointer(3).
>
> David

| Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au |
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973