Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 13:19:23 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spam problem on the list (Was: Re: URGENT)

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 12:42:18AM -0700, Philip J. Koenig typed:
> > Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:50:55 +0200
> > From: Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 09:12:25AM -0400, Stephen Hovey typed:

> > > I think this was talked about in the past and the reasoning had something
> > > to do with a problem of legit users not gettin it on their from addresses
> > > in that arrangement (in other words signing up one way, but emailing from
> > > another)...  Personally, I think if you cant figure out that piece, you
> > > should be a windows user..
> > >

> > From /etc/motd (what every newbee will read after the first successfull
> > installation):
> >
> > If you still have a question or problem, please take the output of
> > `uname -a', along with any relevant error messages, and email it
> > as a question to the questions@FreeBSD.org mailing list.
> >
> > I consider this an excellent service provided by FreeBSD.
>

> It may be an "excellent service" to some minority of FreeBSD users,
> but we all thought having open SMTP relays was an "excellent service"
> too, back in the innocent years before the explosion of spam.
>
> Already at least one new user that I saw gave up after one day of
> being on this list because of all the junk on it, and I also know
> that some users in certain parts of the world consider it to be a
> major problem to receive large parcels of junk - in many cases this
> costs them real money due to usage costs.

But you don't have to be subscribed to the list to ask a question. If
your connection doesn't allow you to receive large amounts of email,
junk or not, you can just submit your question without subscribing, and
you will only receive answers from that thread. This is what I mean by
"excellent service", it's a lot like what you get from a commercial
support contract, only run entirely by volunteers who are on the lists.

> I am on at least 8 other mailing lists that allow user posting and
> FreeBSD-Questions is the ONLY one that I see this problem on!
> (including the other FreeBSD lists I subscribe to)

I am also subscribed to several closed mailing lists, and they do have
less spam sent directly to the list (although even on the
freebsd-questions list this has never been more than about 5% of the
total volume in my experience). On the other hand, spammers do subscibe
to these mailing lists as well so as soon as I post a message to any of
these lists, the email address I used will be harvested and get spammed.
This amounts to the majority of spam I receive and has nothing to do
with the list being open or closed.
Also on these other lists I have seen members hit by virusses and
spamming the list with virus-infected emails, just like recently on
freebsd-questions.

> Either there should be some virus-scanning mechanism deployed
> (something several of the lists I'm on do), something should be done
> about moderation (ie assign several people the ability to temporarily
> block traffic from certain senders) or the idea of allowing posting
> from anywhere should be reconsidered.

I agree on all but your last option, for reasons I gave above.
The problem here I think is not what should be done, but what can be
done. For example I believe the list allready is moderated (sometimes
certain senders do get blocked), but as everything in FreeBSD this is a
volunteers effort, and noone probably has the time to monitor the list
24x7 so the mechanism is far from watertight. If I am right and the
situation can be improved by having more people monitor the list, I
would be happy to spent some of my time helping out here.
The other option you gave, scanning for virusses, should indeed be
considered. But installing a virus-scanning mechanism on an allready
heavy loaded server like hub.freebsd.org is not something you do
overnight. It is highly likely that it will require a hardware upgrade
just to handle the extra load from the virus scanning processes (I speak
from experience here) and who is going to pay for that?

--
Ruben de Groot
Systems & Network Manager