Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 17:21:22 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Michael Richards <026809r@dragon.acadiau.ca>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd ICMP packets being logged

Hi.
I'm seeing some odd packets being logged via my ipf. I've looked around
but not really found any good resources on ipfilter/ipnat. I can't find
this documented:
03/08/1999 17:03:03.370491 vx0 @0:5 b ###.###.###.### -> 10.23.3.2 PR icmp
len 20 43 icmp 8/0

10.23.3.2 is my internal address that my ISP has set up with their messed
up PIX NAT system.

Here are my rules:
# Nasty Packets:
#       Block any packets which are too short to be real.
block in log quick all with short
#       Block any packets with source routing set
block in log quick all with opt lsrr
block in log quick all with opt ssrr
# nasty ports we don't allow
block return-rst in log quick on vx0 proto tcp from any to any port = 23
block return-rst in log quick on vx0 proto tcp from any to any port = 25
block return-rst in log quick on vx0 proto tcp from any to any port = 137
block return-rst in log quick on vx0 proto tcp from any to any port = 139
block return-rst in log quick on vx0 proto tcp from any to any port = 1080
block return-rst in log quick on vx0 proto tcp from any to any port =
31337
block return-icmp(net-unr) in log on vx0 proto udp from any to any port =
1080

I suspect that they may be coming from the last rule because that's the
only thing that says anything about ICMPs. Can anyone shed light on this,
or even point me to a resource that explains ipf's log format?

thanks

-Michael