Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2001 08:23:40 -0600
From:      Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CD-ROM problem on a 486/66 w/ 3.3R

Hi...

A few weeks ago I asked for help regarding mounting my CD-ROM - couldn't
mount it, no matter what. I've narrowed it down (I think) to a IDE
controller issue.

Originally I had the following hardware config:
Controller #1: 240M DOS HDD -> master
               850M BSD HDD -> slave
Controller #2  NEC CD-ROM changer -> master

I was successfully using 'Uniload' to boot into either DOS or 3.3R.
/var/run/dmesg.boot showed that the CD-ROM was being detected w/o any
problems. However i simply could not mount the CD-ROM.

I changed the hardware around yesterday as follows:
Controller #1: 240M DOS HDD -> master
               NEC CD-ROM changer -> slave
Controller #2: 850M BSD HDD -> master

Results are that I can boot into DOS, but 'Uniload' fails to "see" the
BSD HDD, which according to its docs, it's can do. As such, I'm wondering
if there may be an issue with Controller #2, and/or whether a 486 mobo is
able to even use a secondary IDE controller?

If the above 2 questions are valid concerns, why would 3.3R be able to
detect the controller and the CD-ROM in the first scenario above, albeit
not be able to mount it? In a 2 controller, 2 HDD, 1 CD-ROM scenario, is
there a prefered "hookup"? TIA...
--
-duke
Calgary, Alberta, Canada