Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:15:25 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tug@internetway.or.jp (Katsuhiko Imahara)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about licence for GCC runtime ribraries containing FreeBSD

Katsuhiko Imahara wrote:
> We would destribute our program executable that contains some portions
> of scrt0.o, libc.a and libgcc.a in FreeBSD. The executable is linked
> with those object or archive files in /usr/lib by GCC. The GCC is
> containing in FreeBSD. I understand that scrt.o and libc.a covered under
> BSD licence and not by the LGPL. I am not sure of the genesis of libgcc,
> though.

libgcc is LGPL'd. It comes with gcc.

> I have question, Can we distribute the linked executable as such ?
> Is there no restrictions on that ?
> Is the executable covered under LGPL or GPL ?
> Please give me your opinion.

The executable is not covered by either LGPL or GPL. If you made
modifications to any of the LGPL'd code, those modifications are
covered by the LGPL. If you just linked against the LGPL'd objects,
there are no restrictions on your code.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137