Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:38:42 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   unknown reboot, DNS + gateway failure

Yesterday when I arrived home from work, I found that the freebsd box had
rebooted.  This was not a power outage as both it and an NT box share the
same UPS and the NT box was unaffected.

The fbsd box is used as a gateway/firewall using ipfw and natd.   Since
this unexplained reboot, my mini-DNS has stopped working.  I can ping the
outside via IP number from the freebsd box but not from the NT box.  I've
set my filtering rules to allow all and still can't ping the outside from
the NT box.  Comms within the subnet appear to be normal (apart from the
mini-DNS problem).

I've checked my DNS entries.  They appear unchanged.

I see three questions:  1 - why did the box reboot?  2 - why did the DNS
stop? 3 - why can't the NT box ping out?

I'll spend time over the weekend trying to figure out what happened and
will review the DNS entries.  But to my knowledge, nothing has changed.
Advice will be welcomed.

To complicate matters, I attempted to install a CD-ROM drive in the
freebsd box before I noticed the above problems.  But that has since been
removed before a successful install was completed.
--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited