Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:42:19 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: different E-problem

Chuck Robey wrote:
> I usually have my obj directory redirected to /usr2/obj, my 2nd disk,
> both because that's where room is, and because of the speed advantage
> you get from having src and obj on different disks.  I have been doing
> this by having:
>
> OBJLINK=        yes
> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr2/obj
>
> in my /etc/make.conf.  I just decided to do one last aout buildworld
> before doing the elf build (to see if the tree was ok first) and I began
> getting these error messages:
>
> ===> bin/rcp
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/bin/rcp
>
> I then took a look at /usr/src/Makefile, where the comments refer to
> /usr/obj.  Is that now hardwired in?  Do I need to use softlinks to get
> it on the spot I want?  I did a scan with find for .depend files, didn't
> find any, so was that warning bogus, maybe?

The object directory gets set to ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/${OBJFORMAT} in
Makefile.inc0. The upgrade sets ${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/aout or
${MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX}/elf explicitly depending on which bit it is doing.

It is the OBJLINK that shouldn't be used. It writes in the source
directory.

If you use make world or make buildworld, the object directories
will be created for you based on your preferred MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX.
However, you should be warned that MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX only works
properly if set in the environment, not in /etc/make.conf. There
are existing comments in bsd.obj.mk to this effect.

The problem with putting things in /etc/make.conf is that you are
overriding things that the build procedure has set for good reason.
Since the settings in /etc/make.conf are absolute ( = , not ?= ),
and /etc/make.conf is included near the bottom of sys.mk, they
always win. 8-(

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137