Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 21:43:02 -0600
From:      "Craig M. Luchtefeld" <craig@2400baud.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Migrating Linux to FreeBSD

Hello all,

Ive inherited control of two linux boxes at work which provide
essentially nothing more than mail and ftp access to a bunch of external
customers.  We host their domains on these two servers and they either
pop-off or access their email through squirrelmail.  To make a really
long story short, we're looking to setup two boxes in parallel, migrate
the data, test for a week or so, and then switch the old boxes out.

I know enough in Linux and FreeBSD to get by, but I have a bit more
experience with FreeBSD and love how easy it is to install new apps,
update apps, etc.  My question is this: are there any known good
procedures on how to migrate roughly 200 users on a RedHat 6.2 linux
server over to a FreeBSD server?  Im looking basically to retain their
username/passwords and their mail.  Everything else is going to be
installed from scratch using FreeBSD 4.7.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/help.

Craig