Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 10:10:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        (Anil Jangity) <aj@entic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw question

On 12-Sep-99 Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> I am using FreeBSD2.2.8 Stable with IPFW enalbed with logging.

FreeBSD 3.3-RC (current -STABLE) has updated ipfw somewhat.

>> Also does anyone know if IP Filters (or ipfw) let you limit logging
>> depending on the rate at which the rule is applied?

See /sys/i386/conf/LINT regarding

        options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
        options "IPFIREWALL_VERBOSITY_LIMIT=10"

or something similar. The drawback to these features is that the limit doesn't
behave the way I think it should (although as a result, I don't use
VERBOSITY_LIMIT) - instead of just counting repeating packets, it kills the
rule the packets are matched against after the rule reaches the limit specified.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>