Date:      Tue, 2 Sep 2014 11:43:48 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg crashing?

On 1 September 2014 18:45, Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 3:19 AM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> I don't force pkg version so it's always the latest, 1.3.7. It does
>> seem that it could be a local issue, I have some bad experiences with
>> pkg recently.
>
> OK.  You should still report the version every time you report a problem,
> because pkg development is fast moving.  In the past few months, there
> are a lot of
> minor releases which fix problems (and break a few things along the way :).
>
> It is also useful to provide information about your system such as if you
> upgraded only with packages from pkg.freebsd.org,
> or if you built any ports yourself.

Most are from pkg.freebsd.org but some I've installed from ports. But
why should it matter? The pkg should record dependencies in both
cases, right?

Also, I appear to have had a similar (?) problem with chromium, on a
*third* system:

# pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
Updating FreeBSD_new_xorg repository catalogue...
FreeBSD_new_xorg repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.

# pkg install chromium
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.
Updating FreeBSD_new_xorg repository catalogue...
FreeBSD_new_xorg repository is up-to-date.
All repositories are up-to-date.
The following 1 packages will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REINSTALLED:
    chromium-36.0.1985.143_1 [FreeBSD] (direct dependency changed)

The operation will free 816 KB.
28 MB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]: y
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/All/chromium-36.0.1985.143_1.txz:
Not Found

Last week it wasn't in the repo databases but this week
it is, BUT it's the wrong version. The version on the repo file server
is chromium-37.0.2062.94.txz .

Doing "pkg update -f" brought in the correct version.

This version still crashes in the protobufs library, but this is
probably because of the way chromium is built
(http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.chromium/1412,
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=175508#c5).