Date:      Fri, 01 Jun 2001 10:38:17 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Purchasing a new laptop...advice?

Munish Chopra wrote:
> I am thinking about getting myself a laptop, as I need to be mobile and
> online this summer. I'd be buying it within the next month, so I'd like
> some advice. I need to be able to run FreeBSD on it (duh!), and I will
> be buying it in Europe, after which I'll take it to North America (will
> I be running into any power supply trouble? surely...), where I'm
> actually moving.

I don't where you'r moving from, but in case, guessing from your
name, you might be EG Indian, & not aware of the European keyboard
nightmare ;-) ...

Nearly every European country I'm aware of, has weirdo (non ASCII)
extra characters & a non standard keycap layout, EG French cidillas,
German umlauts, Swedish O's with line through. Germans swop the Y
& Z too.  There are 2 German layouts, & 2 more Swiss German ! Even
the British (who have none of these extra characters), still swap
a couple of punctuation marks around relative to USA.

I use USA layout (BIOS boot default) (even though I'm British in
Germany), it's a pain having either mis-labelled or mis-mapped
keyboards. I had one laptop with black keys & white lettering,
where it wasn't even possible to get an indelible felt pen & write
on the USA keymap.

Think which country you will buy in, if the supplier or manufacturer
will really guarantee to supply you an alternate keycap set, if
uncertain avoid laptops with black/anthracite/grey keycaps.

If you really want USA standard, maybe buy mail order from the USA.
If you want to be able to support the extra weirdo European stuff,
perhaps buy from Britain or Eire, there' you'll likely get the
extra keys, but at least default labelled mostly like USA.

Power: USA 110V 60Hz.  Germany/mainland europe 220V nominal 50Hz
Britain: 240V nominal (I saw 248 in my house) 50Hz, (I heard a rumour of a
commmon aim for 230V, but doubt its true.)

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !
	Like Linux ?	Then also look at FreeBSD with its 5000+ packages !