Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 23:23:26 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No port of Opera? (Was: ((FreeBSD : Linux) :: (OS/2 : Windows)))

> With the help of the linuxulator we got it easier to ride the hype which
> Linux created.
>
> Now that the hype is reaching its momentum it becomes obvious that
> FreeBSD/BSDi is being a major player in the whole ballgame as well.
> Have you looked around recently?  There's more and more mention and
> support for the FreeBSD cause (and indirectly for OpenBSD and NetBSD).

I think you should stop trying to talk sense to Brett.  As we've
already seen in this thread, it just doesn't do any good and he only
becomes even more strident and less connected to reality as the thread
unwinds.

Now, of course, if he wanted to actually convince anyone that he
wasn't just smoking crack and this whole "FreeBSD API for Linux" was
the way to go (since even Brett is able to see that ISVs aren't going
to just drop support for Linux and Go FreeBSD because he says so), he
would BACK UP HIS ASSERTIONS THROUGH DEMONSTRATION by implementing
said code and then achieving significant ISV buy-in with it.  At that
point, the rest of us would actually have to agree that yes, despite
all odds, he'd been right all along and How About That.  However,
Brett being Brett, he's not going to do that, he's just going to
continue to assert the validity of his own unique arguments with no
proof and, when nobody comes forward who's willing to implement all
this code for him just because he says it's a good idea, he'll
let the topic die down again until he feels up to another rant on
the topic.

I think Pons and Fleishman demonstrated a similar aptitude for good
science and demonstrable claims with their Cold Fusion research a
decade or so back.

- Jordan