Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2014 17:23:22 -0400
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, nathanw@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Media image names - Document & rationalise.

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 4:34 PM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 01, 2014 04:56:02 PM Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> will
> > >
> > > To be clear, the existing, legacy-only images are built the same way
> > > as they always have been.  The reason there are separate -uefi- images
> > > is to avoid accidental regression in legacy-only boot support.
> > >
> > > The 10.1 -uefi- images (as well as the 11.0 images) are actually
> > > dual-mode, and should boot in both UEFI and legacy configurations.
> > > I'm interested in receiving test reports of installations using the
> > > -uefi- images, in both UEFI and legacy boot configurations.
> > >
> > > (Technical detail: The image contains legacy MBR boot code, and is
> > > partitioned using the MBR scheme. One of the MBR partitions is an EFI
> > > system partition of type 0xEF.  Legacy boot uses the MBR, while UEFI
> > > loads the first-stage loader /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI.  Both cases use
> > > the same root file system and boot the same kernel.)
> >
> > I have installed both of the
> >

> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/10.1/FreeBSD-10.1-BETA
> > 2-amd64-dvd1.iso.xz
> >
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/10.1/FreeBSD-10.1-BET
> > A2-amd64-uefi-dvd1.iso.xz
> >
> > distributions into the same HDD in a non-UEFI mainboard ( Intel DG965WHM
> > )   .
> >
> > No one of them produced a bootable installation .
> >
> > Previously I have sent the message
> >

> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2014-August/051617.html
> >
> > about this issue .
> >
> > The problem is still persisting in Beta 2 .
> >
> > On the same computer , Fedora 21 Alpha is booting very well ( means there
> > is not any hardware problem ) .
> >

> > I did not try 10.1 Beta 3 because there is no any mention of this problem
> > in the announcement message .
> >

> > Thank you very much .
>
> I believe the issue here as I discussed with Marcel last year is that the
> x86
> installer needs to tell gpart to set the active flag on the dummy MBR
> slice in
> the PMBR if GPT is being used without EFI (the installer knows if it is
> booted
> via EFI or not).
>
> In 9.2 and older, the flag was always set, but that violated the EFI spec
> and
> broke several systems, so in 9.3 and later, gpart was changed to not set
> the
> flag by default.  However, we should still set it for non-EFI booting via
> GPT
> to cater to broken BIOSes (such as yours).
>
> --
> John Baldwin

Some Linux distibutions are published ( on the same .iso ) as installable
onto both old BIOS and new UEFI capable BIOS , but I do not know how they
are doing it .

I am installing the same Linux distribution onto computer with old BIOS (
Intel mainboard ) and another computer with UEFI capable BIOS  ( ASUS
mainboard ) without activating UEFI mode and both of them are booting
successfully after installation and working .

When I move a FreeBSD or Linux installed HDD booting successfully in an old
BIOS having computer to a new UEFI capable BIOS having computer , they are
booting and working successfully .

Therefore I can not say anything about what FreeBSD Project can decide what
to do on this problem , but I think there are a large number of main boards
that are using old BIOSes which they have been programmed to boot from an
MBR enabled device ( perhaps ONLY from such a device or from ONLY "active"
partitions ) .

Actually I am not mentioning this problem only for my benefit . I can find
a way to solve this problem . Important point is less experienced users
encountering a very disappointing outcome old style computers .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk