Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:27:38 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        bernard.el-hagin@lido-tech.net
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anti aliased fonts in FBSD

--=-tiKbmOd0wpmflWfV/4+s

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 01:17, Bernard El-Hagin wrote:
> owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:
>=20
> >On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 00:46, Bernard El-Hagin wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>=20
> >>   When I install some appliactions from ports they have nice
> >> anti-aliased fonts by default (gaim, for example). Unfortunately other=
> >> do not (most notably gVim and also LinCVS, both of which are capable o=
> >> using them). Where exactly is this governed? How do I tell application=
> >> to always use anti-aliased fonts? I am running CURRENT.
> >
> >There's a section on this in the FreeBSD handbook:
> >
> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html
>=20
>=20
> Thanks to that section of the handbook I have enabled anti-aliased fonts
> in X, but it doesn't explain why some applications use those fonts by
> default and others don't. That's my real problem.

Yes it does.  The last paragraph states:

"Anti-aliasing should be enabled the next time the X server is started.
However, programs must know how to take advantage of it. At present, the
Qt toolkit does, so the entire KDE environment can use anti-aliased
fonts (see Section 5.7.3.2 on KDE for details). Gtk+ and GNOME can also
be made to use anti-aliasing via the ``Font'' capplet (see Section
5.7.1.3 for details). By default, Mozilla 1.2 and greater will
automatically use anti-aliasing. To disable this, rebuild Mozilla with
the -DWITHOUT_XFT flag."

So, do you have gVim built with gtk+-2 support, and have you done what
section 5.7.3.2 tells you for KDE/Qt apps (i.e. set QT_XFT to true)?

Joe