Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 06:34:16 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Rob Levandowski <robl@phoebe.accinet.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, davidg@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Matt Stein" <matt@ican.net>
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

> Given FreeBSD's nature, and that I knew there were mailing list
> instructions on another page, I presumed that this address was more
> restricted.  Hence, when I got back that first message, whose phrasing
> implied that it was from someone empowered to speak for the team, I was
> upset.

I think a quick glance at the header would still have been enough
to make it more than clear that such was not the case, as David
has already pointed out.

> On the other hand, I do tend to feel that your response above begs the
> question.  The FreeBSD web pages, and its supporters, make a case that
> FreeBSD is a reasonable alternative to commercial workstations, even in
> corporate environments.  It seems to me that the FreeBSD team wants to be
> taken seriously.  As an end-user, I don't want to be told to "shove it,"

It is and it does.  We can hardly help the fact that some random
person, and evidently a prankster at that, told you to "shove it" and
that person has already sent an apology, so I'm not sure that anything
more could or should be done about the incident.

> Your response, which takes the tack of maligning my character and
> questioning my faculties, doesn't make me think the FreeBSD team is
> looking to be taken seriously.  That's especially true in light of your
> position as "Public Relations and Corporate Liasion," as the Web pages
> state.

You're free to come to that conclusion though there's ample evidence
to the contrary.  We are taken seriously, just as I take unwarranted
attacks upon the project seriously.  It's very simple: You made an
entirely baseless assumption, leaped into the abyss on the basis of
that assumption and now you'd like to compound your error by blaming
the reporter for simply commenting on the actions of the reportee.
I'm sorry, but that simply won't wash and I think you can only dig
yourself in deeper by continuing to defend an indefensible position.

Why not simply admit you made a mistake, acted rashly, and let us all
move on?  Any reasonably courageous person would feel contrite about
laying blame on the wrong doorstep and not simply attack the first
person to note that an error had been made.  By doing so, you only
further lower your estimation in the eyes of many on this very public
mailing list and that hardly suggests to me that you desire to be
taken seriously either, making your own accusations hypocritical at
best.  The next move is up to you.  Have a nice day.

					Jordan