Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:39:11 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Petri Riihikallio <Petri.Riihikallio@Metis.fi>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, DougB@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to shut down cleanly by killing power

At 05:02 PM 9.26.2002 +0300, Petri Riihikallio wrote:
>Hello
>
>A couple of days ago I sent a message asking how to shut down a
>FreeBSD system when I KNOW the power will be off after the next
>script command.
>
>Nobody has commented yet.
>
>Am I the only one using an UPS with FreeBSD?

<lot chopped off>

No, you are not the only one using UPS, but in my case, I don't use NUT and
don't quite understand the problem you have with the shutdown. My scripts
use shutdown -p just fine (rather than shutdown -h). It will only use that
when it reaches the final designated time to do so. If power returns, then
it stops the countdown just flawlessly and returns to normal operations. It
works on all of the FBSD machines and those running Windoze desktops. Some
are Masters (those are FBSD) and some are slaves (FBSD & WINs). Some share
the same APC and some do not. The ones that do not are attached to dumb UPS
backups, but are still told what to do by the APC master machines.... i.e.,
shutdown or continue.

So, I have not jumped into this because it is complicated enough without
trying to discuss accross different daemons....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net