Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:34:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, tlambert@primenet.com, rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet/FAST cards; suppliers?

Terry Lambert writes:
| > > You should talk to Doug Ambrisko about this.
| >
| > I would hope he'll drop into the discussion.
|
| Unfortunately, he has a life.  8-).

Atleast on weekends.

| > >  I believe there were also problems with the hardware
| > > autodetection, unlike the 82558 part.
| >
| > Detection of the PCI parts is, not surprisingly, trivial.
|
| Autodetection of the 100 vs. 10 rate, not autodetection of the device.

One of the issues is that at the time you couldn't set the card in
10 or 100 mode since the driver support wasn't there.  Connecting multiple
autosense cards via a cross cable sometimes causes both to bounce
between 10 and 100 when trying to auto-detect.  Using a hub got rid of
this problem.

Routing was a big issue.  At 100BaseT speeds and one AMD card things
were okay.  I forget the numbers but "acceptable" not as good as DEC or
Intel.  The problem came as soon as you tried routing through two cards.
performance would fall through the floor <.03Mbit/s.  I also tried them
with SCO Openserver (Personal edition).  Routing was again terrible with
SCO non-routing was okay.  FYI SCO was <1/2 the routing performance of
FreeBSD with good Intel cards.  FreeBSD with our version of natd routing
faster then SCO.

Since AMD wasn't willing to put any effort into trying to reproduce the
SCO case we dropped that idea (they blamed FreeBSD and SCO even though
they supplied the SCO driver).  I'm not sure if we still have the eval
cards.

BTW testing either card separately was okay, only when routing between
cards or running both cards at the same time was there a problem.  This
problem was similar to the ISA AMD cards that bus master.  One card is
fine, start routing and things blow up due to bus master issues.  This
also means an AMD ISA card with a Adaptec 1542 is a bad idea (which I
had at home).

Doug A.