Date:      Wed,  7 Mar 2001 18:54:24 -0600
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        "dennis" <dennis@magix.com.sg>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: monitor

dennis wrote:
> I am using FreeBSD 4.2 and I am looking for a program to
> monitor telnet, ftp, sendmail, inetd, apache, mysql and to restart
> them after any failure.
>
> I have seen netsaint and monitord.
>
> Would it be possible to use cron instead ?
>
> Any suggesstions ? I am looking for the easiest way to do this.

A brute-force method I used for a while for apache was this (in the
cron), may be wrapped but is supposed to be on 1 line:

/bin/sh -c "ps `cat ${HTTPDHOME}/www/logs/httpd.pid` | fgrep -s
'/usr/local/bin/httpd' || /usr/local/bin/httpd -d ${HTTPDHOME}/www"

I guess similar methods could be used for other daemons as well.

Gerd