Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:42:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
To:        Robert McCallum <robert@cards2talk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 911 lockdown!

I have a couple of suggestions for securing the server in the future.  You
should run the SSL version of pop and imap, or use stunnel to make an SSL
wrapper for these services.  In an optimal situation, you should only
allow access to the SSL service, or at least only allow users that are
behind the firewall to access the non SSL services.  I would also disable
ftp.  You can run sftp through OpenSSH now, just look at
/etc/ssh/sshd_config the last couple of lines should be uncommented out
for sftp.  Another option to that, if you are against running SSL version
2, is to install the package lrzsz and use that over an ssh session to
transfer files.  Z-modem is supported by most windows ssh clients, and in
unix you just need the lrzsz on both ends of the connection.

As for the MSA (Mail Submission Agent) on port 587, you can read about it
in http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2476.html.  It is unfortunately not
implemented in many email clients at this time, and actually, if you find
a good client that supports it let me know.

Also, if your box has been broken into, its good policy to reinstall it
from the ground up, since you never will know how deep the person got into
your system, or whether the "sloppyness" is just a cover to make the admin
of the machine believe that they have found all the problems.

Robert Simmons
Systems Administrator
http://www.wlcg.com/