Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   RE: libh src/ import

On 06-Sep-01 Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 12:05 PM -0700 9/6/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>>On 06-Sep-01 Alexander Langer wrote:
>>>  Hi!
>>>
>>>  How are peoples feelings about an import of libh into our src tree,
>>>  in order to push the development?
>>
>>As I said on IRC in an opinion that no one else seems to share, libh
>>is useful in a wider regard than just FreeBSD, and I think it should
>>be a separate project that gets vendor imported into src/contrib.
>
> I agree it should be somewhere better than src/release.
>
> I don't like the idea of a project that we have complete control
> over would end up in src/contrib, however.  I understand that it
> could have a wider audience than just FreeBSD, but src/contrib
> is supposed to be for those things that we "keep our hands off of,
> unless we really really have to change something, and even then we
> have to get the maintainer's explicit permission and a 2/3 majority
> of the house of representatives (and every country's equivalent)
> before we make a change".

You are making an erroneous assumption that all libh developers are FreeBSD
developers.  At least one libh committer is _not_ a FreeBSD committer.  GUI's
and OS's are two different things and draw from different developer communities
(albeit communities that intersect at points).  A similar idea would be if we
decided to write our own C compiler and make it part of the FreeBSD project
instead of being its own project.  Or our own graphical system that is a
replacement for X.