Date:      Sun, 09 Dec 2001 13:44:12 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Joseph Maxwell <jaymax@ns.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP!! Runaway /var/log/mgetty.cuaa1 log file

Joseph Maxwell wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a runaway log file w/ approx. 576 line repeat, ~43 Kb per min.
> One cycle is given below.  Seems to be modem related ????? but there is
> no modem in the system and no ref. in /etc/rc.conf /etc/defaults/rc.conf

Why are you running mgetty?
It looks to me like you've got mgetty installed and starting at boot time,
but you've never configured it.  Those error messages are indicative of the
config file that installs with mgetty - it's invalid and has lots of "comments"
to help you configure it properly.
My suggestion would be:
1. Make sure you really need mgetty - if not, either deinstall it or configure
    it to not start up on bootup (/etc/ttys)
2. If you need mgetty, configure it properly (/usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config
    is the one that appears to be the problem here)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology