Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 2004 22:50:54 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: Random Freeze]

Paul Mather wrote:
> Mark,
>
> When you do, look for PREEMPTION.  That should speed up the search. :-)

Yes, I searched the mailing lsts and found it, deleted #define
PREEMPTION from sys/i38i6/include/param.h, rebuilt my kernel and the
machine has been up for 13 hours now :-)

Only thing is the screensaver hangs after ~5 minutes (that had me
worried the first time it happened), but that's not really important.

> Seriously, though, -CURRENT has been going through some major
> instability the last fortnight or so.  One thesis is that the
> pre-emption code added has either introduced or uncovered some obscure
> bugs.  The net effect has been random freezes---most often reported is
> when under load or doing something (e.g., rendering a complicated page)
> using Mozilla, or when using XMMS.

The two apps I probably use the most!

> One suggestion, until the culprit has been found, is to rebuild without
> PREEMPTION (undef it in /usr/src/sys/i386/include/param.h).  That has
> certainly stopped the freezes in my case.

Me too.

> If you're running -CURRENT, it is advisable to subscribe to the
> freebsd-current mailing list---if nothing else but to be apprised of
> ongoing problems like this, or to get a heads-up about possible future
> instability caused by major repository/functionality changes.  (For
> example, today there was a heads-up about the GCC 3.4 import being done
> [which seems to have broken things temporarily].)

I have done now. I'm only running -CURRENT because this is a dual CPU
box and when I built it back in December what I was readin on the lists
suggested that 5-STABLE was only a few months away and, since SMP
support in 5.x is superior to 4.x, I figured upgrading
5-CURRENT->5-STABLE would be easier than 4-STABLE->%-STABLE. As soon as
we get a 5-STABLE that's what I'll run.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Mark