Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 14:58:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Patrick Thomas <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   quick ipfw ruleset advice needed...

I have a single machine behind my firewall.  On that machine I would like
to do this:

1. allow incoming sshd connections
2. allow incoming identd requests
3. block ALL other requests coming into my server
4. be able to use any client programs from my server going outwards
(bitchx, ftp, ssh, lynx, mud client, etc)

so I came up with this:

00100 allow tcp from any to [my IP] 22		# incoming sshd
00101 allow tcp from any to [my IP] 113		# incoming identd
00102 allow udp from any to [my IP] 113		# incoming identd
00103 deny all from any to [my IP]

This sort of works.  I can ssh _to_ my machine and log in, and i can get
identd to respond, but:

- I cannot ssh from that machine to other places
- I cannot use things like lynx and bitchx

So, how do I accomplish this ?  How can I ssh out and have return packets
coming in at high numbered ports and not block them ?  I suppose I could
change the deny line to deny on ports 0-1024 ... so then i could use
clients like lynx, but how do I protect myself asgainst some server that
starts itself up and answers in a high port and i dont notice it is there
(as the result of an attack or intrusion or trojan) ?

thanks!

pt