Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:08:17 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Cluster" administration software...

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

>>>I'm looking for tools to facilitate the administration of a
>>>FreeBSD server farm, mainly tools to push package updates over the
>>>whole farm but other things like globals configuration file
>>>updates would be nice
>>>
>>NIS might be what you're looking for. It will push
>>user/group/hosts/ services files to clients.
>>

> Last time I looked into NIS it was for stuff like keeping /etc/passwd
> etc in sync, but not updating packages on hosts.

No, I was suggesting it for the purpose of "globals configuration" which
I had assumed would include passwd, groups, hosts.  It appears I
misunderstood.

> Basically, I want to have some sort of daemon, to which I can send a
> package (as the ones used by pkg_add) which will then install it for
> me,
> taking care of dependencies etc pp or prior versions of the package
> that are eventually already installed.
>

>>You could mount your ports tree via NFS, which would allow you to
>>keep all machines up to date while only needing to update one
>>machine.
>>

> Well, mounting the ports tree via NFS and using portupgrade provides
> some flexibility, but still, you'd need to execute it manually on all
> machines since I don't trust portupgrade enough to run it unattendend
> as it still f*cks up its own dependency database if you use stuff
> like
> WITHOUT_X11 for libungif and then stops working until you fix it by
> hand.

Hmmm ... well, portupgrade is the best tool I know of currently, there's
an interesting article by Michael Lucas that may give you some ideas on
how to make it work better:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2001/11/29/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
but I don't know of anything better.

> Ideally, FreeBSD should have something like Debian's apt-get upgrade
> which
> upgrades the whole system automatically (downloading packages from
> some custom package repository, preferably). I've got some friends
> who
> run Debian at home and they told me that apt-get never did any bad to
> their system...

Sounds "too good to be true" but if it really works that well, it might
be worth porting (if possible
I don't understand that from a server perspective. I mean, what happens
if something automatically upgrades something that no longer works?
I always want to be involved when upgrades are in the works.

> I've been thinking about implementing some SOAP based small server,
> that takes the package and calls portupgrade on it...

That would probably be a useful project, something like an enhanced
portupgrade program that worked across the network via ssh or something.
I don't know of anything that does it right now.

>>Webmin provides a nice front-end to a lot of this.  I don't think
>>you're going to find *1* tool to take care of this for you, but NIS
>>in concert with webmin might do the trick.
>>

> Hmm. I just installed webmin (haven't used it for a long time) and
> the
> Cluster User administration for sure looks cool but I don't really
> need to keep passwd in sync (actually, this would probably be counter
> productive from a security point of view with our system).

Doesn't sound like NIS will work for you then.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology