Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:24:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ken Seggerman <suleyman@echonyc.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape for FreeBSD installing by the book

On Thu, 16 April 1998 at  4:11:27 -0400, Ken Seggerman wrote:
> Many thanks to those whose sage advice helped me get XFree86 up and
> running. The remaining bugs seem to be trivial.
>
> I have been trying to install Netscape from the FreeBSD 2.2.5 CD rom.
>
> I have followed the instructions on page 474 of Mr. Lehey's complete
> FreeBSD.
>
> My make install process fails to find the file :
>
> communicator-v403b8-export.x86-unknown-freebsd.tar.gz

At first I thought that this was a bug in my book, but I think what
you're indicating is that the port on the CD-ROM is out of date.
Certainly I was able to reproduce the problem with the 2.2.5 CD-ROM.
The best thing to do is to get an updated version of the port from
ftp4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/pub/FreeBSD/ports-2.2.5/www/.  You'll
note that the names of the ports have changed as the result of the
release of the Netscape source code.

> If all I need is one little v403b8 file (is it a patch or a binary or a
> source file?), it would be nice to be able to find it.

It's the complete tar archive.  As the example in the book shows, it's
nearly 8 MB.

I suppose I should put something in the book pointing out that times
change, but the book doesn't.  There *is* an example of how to get a
port on page 93.

Greg