Date:      Thu, 30 May 1996 20:46:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: _Running FreeBSD_

As Greg Lehey wrote:

> > I think you'll find "wd" as the name for the disk driver
> > has it's roots in the terminology "winchester disk".
>
> Hmm.  Could do, I suppose.  I'm copying chat on this to see if anybody
> else has any information on this.  I'll make a note in the sources.

I think it's meant to be a ``WD1007'' disk driver (though it also
supports the WD1003-style controllers, but only with a slight hang at
boot time in timing out the READ PARAMETERS command).  The WD1003 was
the original PC/AT MFM controller, and our ancient IDE interface is
register-compatible to it.  The WD1007V (ESDI) controller added the
READP command, and that's all until the recent invention of EIDE and
its new hackarounds for the limits of the WD1003/7 interface.

--
cheers, J"org