Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 14:35:20 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Gary D. Kline" <kline@tao.thought.org>, provos@citi.umich.edu, security@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, markus@openbsd.org, Dug Song <dugsong@monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH patches

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Dug Song wrote:
> you can't use ApacheSSL in the US, unless you've paid RSA for a license
> for the RSA implementation in SSLeay or OpenSSL.

Yes, and I was lead to believe that buying the RadHat server pack (which
comes with an RSA license for Apache/SSLeay) would cover a FreeBSD server
as long as the CPU count was honored. This makes a license $100-150. Any
one else know if this is true or there are other approaches?

> > I can also more easily get an RSA license because I have to cover it for a
> > year or so anyway - until the patent expires. Most businesses are used to
> > paying for the web server certs and licences, but some will balk at
> > something new. "*What* is this for again? I've never heard of it." - Jy@
>
> paying for certificates is NOT the same as purchasing an RSA license for
> the use of RSA in your webserver. if you haven't done so, and are using
> the webserver for commercial purposes, you're violating their patent.

While I completely understand the differences, it is easier to explain to
"accounting types" (sorry...) that this is another small fee to run the
ecommerce web servers like the certificate fees. Most have even heard of
RedHat nowadays, but none have heard of ssh. 8{)

> it sucks, i know. beware.

Agreed, but watch for reasonable deals, some exist. It is also important
that, for ssh, you are not limited to RSA. For Apache/SSLeay, you're
stuck. I rather doubt that the original RSA patents will be extended, as
well, but you never know... - Jy@