Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 18:16:50 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
To:        "Mikhail V. Evstiounin" <evs@telerama.com>
Cc:        Rezamys <rezath@tm.net.my>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie: how to compile & run C program in 3.2Release?

On Fri, Jul 09, 1999 at 08:13:58AM -0400, Mikhail V. Evstiounin wrote:
> Hi!
>

> My company is using gcc on HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0. I installed
> all versions of gcc starting from 2.5 on all our machines - HP
> boxes, IBM RS 6000 boxes, Sequent Boxes. As a result I am trying to
> follow any news in gcc world.
>
> There is a difference between 2.7.1.1 and 2.8.1 in terms of C++
> (I believe, since version 2, gcc and g++ were combined as one
> compiler g++).

Correct, however there are still 2 binaries:

marder-1:/usr/marko{57}% ls -l `which gcc g++`
-r-xr-xr-x  3 root  wheel   4720 Feb 15 10:42 /usr/bin/g++
-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  49544 Feb 15 10:42 /usr/bin/gcc

Which one you use determines some compiler defaults. From the
manpage:

	The C and C++  compilers  are  integrated.   Both  process
	input  files  through  one or more of four stages: prepro-
	cessing, compilation, assembly, and linking.  Source file-
	name suffixes identify the source language, but which name
	you use for the compiler governs default assumptions:

	gcc    assumes preprocessed (.i) files are C and assumes C
		style linking.

	g++    assumes preprocessed (.i) files are C++ and assumes
		C++ style linking.

> 2.8.1 works with templates much closer to C++ standard v.3.0, but
> still doesn't have namespaces, correct exceptions and something else.

And egcs works even better with templates.

However, as the original poster is at the "Hello, World" stage I
don't think that they would gain any benefit from using 2.8.1 over
the default.