Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:52:55 -0700
From:      "Jin Guojun [DSD]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
To:        agent dero <dero@bluhayz.org>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-performance Digest, Vol 4, Issue 7

agent dero wrote:

> I have been researching RAID and Software RAID online using FreeBSD's
> availible documents, and I am wondering what the performance of using a
> simple RAID 1 capable card over a software RAID 1 configuration? Will the
> software RAID perform well enough that I could just cut costs of a RAID card?
>
> thanks.

Recently, we tested software RAID via CCD and VINUM, and compared
them to adaptec 2xxx RAID controller. The performance is the same.
The CPU are Xeon 2.8 GHz, SuperMicro MB with ServerWork Chipset.
Seagate 3147xxxxLC drives.

Problem is the write is slow for all of them, especially when multiple writes.

Heard from Adaptect that their 5400 RAID has best performance, but
never had one for testing.

So, soft RAID is ok to save bucks for hardware.

--
------------ Jin Guojun ----------- v --- j_guojun@lbl.gov ---
Distributed Systems Department          http://www.itg.lbl.gov/~jin