Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:37:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christian Sauer" <christian@endrun.org>
To:        "Adam" <blueeskimo@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange PPPoE behaviour -- Need help to avoid fees

Adam said:
> I just got a call from my ISP telling me that my DSL has been
> disconnecting and reconnecting every 3 minutes for the past few months,
> and that this is putting a heavy load on their servers. They're
> considering charging me for all this extra bandwidth, as they're certain
> that the problem is on my end.
>
> I don't notice the disconnections here, but maybe the ppp process is
> doing some weirdness that is transparent to me. Here's my ppp.conf:
>
> default:
>  set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
>  ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
>
> openweb:
>  set authname xxxxxx@xxx.xxx
>  set authkey xxxxxxxx
>  set device PPPoE:dc0
>  enable dns
>  enable lqr
>  add default HISADDR
>  set dial
>  set login
>  set mru 1492
>  set reconnect 3 6000

according to the man page ... by default the PPP connection times out
after 3 mins.  It suggests using "set timeout 0" to disable it.  try
adding that to the ppp.conf file.

> Does anyone see anything suspicious in my configuration that might be
> causing the problem? I'm going to try switching my GNet modem with a
> Daewoo, but I'm thinking that the problem probably lies in my ppp.conf
> settings.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Adam <blueeskimo@gmx.net>

-Christian

--
Van Buren: "He probably thought a 9mm divorce would be cheaper"
Briscoe: "..And less bloody"

-Law & Order: Season 9 _Formerly Famous_