Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:59:33 -0700
From:      Cameron <cam@eleventhhourfx.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        Laszlo Nagy <gandalf@shopzeus.com>
Subject:   Re: Compat question: MSI P35, Q6600 + RocketRAID (?)

I have an Asus p35 mobo and FreeBSD works just fine with the gigabit nic.

I *think* it uses the standard p35 onboard nic. Verfiy the MSI board does as
well.

I just replaced an MSI board myself because it was unable to boot from PCI
devices (and I have an LSI Logic PCI RAID controller). You might verify that
this MSI board doesn't have any problems like this.

You might also consider getting the same board as I (or one of its closely
related cousins if my board doesn't have quite the feature set that you're
looking for) since you'll know it will be compatible:
Asus P5K-E WIFI

I think the wifi might work, but I haven't verified it. I don't boot into
FreeBSD often since there's no decent video card drivers for it (the xorg
nvidia drivers won't even let me do 1600x1200!!) so I can't check if the wifi
works at the moment.

FreeBSD works with both the onboard SATA (ICH9) and the onboard PATA. Linux
seems to not work with the ICH9 at this point (in case anyone on this list
cares) but works with the onboard PATA just fine.

Hope that helps.

-Cameron