Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:57:03 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Mark Ibell <marki@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about dump/restore

Mark Ibell <marki@paradise.net.nz> types:
> Just curious if there were any plans to upgrade FreeBSD's dump to
> support the dumping of selected dirs/files within a filesystem rather
> than the entire filesystem. This option is available in
> OpenBSD/NetBSD/Solaris dump and would be useful.

I haven't seen any such plans. Given the restrictions that OpenBSD and
NetBSD place on this facility, it's not usable as part of a backup
strategy, so I'm not convinced it "would be useful". The only thing I
can see doing with it is making a one-time dump of something with
non-file nodes in it that make the other archives (tar, cpio, pax)
choke.

However, if you want it, the best way to get it is to integrate the
Net or Open versions into the Free version yourself, then send-pr a
patch file.

If you're simply trying to avoid dumping certain things, check out the
chflags(1) command, particularly the nodump flag; and the -h flag to
dump.

> Also, is there any reason why restore creates symbolic links with mode
> 'lrwx------' when the dumped file had mode 'lrwxr-xr-x'?

Because the mode of the symbolic link is ignored by
everything. Getting and storing the mode of a symlink requires extra
work, and there's no reason to do that work.

	<mike