Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2007 08:26:20 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE

On Thursday 06 December 2007, Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Kent Stewart wrote:
> > I had the sound card in my primary FreeBSD user system go bad on
> > me. When I went shopping for a replacement sound card for an old
> > system, the only thing I could see that didn't take too much of my
> > cpu horsepower was the Audigy SE. It seems to be the generic sound
> > card that you can purchase in a Best Buy or such electronic store.
> > It isn't in FreeBSD-6-stable. I think it is the equivalent of the
> > old emu10k1 or 2. It needs to be addressed.
> >
> > A pciconf shows the following
> >
> > none1@pci0:17:0:        class=0x040100 card=0x100a1102
> > chip=0x00071102 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
> >     vendor     = 'Creative Technology LTD.'
> >     device     = 'C6SB0410515017656A Audigy SE'
> >     class      = multimedia
> >     subclass   = audio
> >
> > None of these generic cards seem to have been added for 2 or 3
> > years. This specific card was pr-ed a long time ago. We are really
> > running behind the curve.
> >
> > Kent
>
> It is supported by /usr/ports/audio/oss in full duplex mode. I am
> using it. It would be really nice to add support for a low end cards
> like that into the kernel but I am not a developer. I think I saw
> somewhere that there was something strange about that particular
> card. OSS for a long time could not support it in full-duplex mode
> necessary for VoIP.

Magic happens :)

Detected SiS 7012
Detected Sound Blaster Audigy LS / Live7.1
Detected OSS Transparent Virtual Mixing Architecture

Now I feel like I am following the path Gary was going down a short time
ago. This Audigy has no provision for analog audio. So, some CD players
won't work. I rarely use FreeBSD to play CDs. I have iTunes on one of
my other computers running with a kvm. Playing CDs is a
news links. There are screen blinks and flashes but no sound. I have my
challenge for the day :).

Right now, Amarok looks like it is playing a CD but has no sound output.
Steps forward seem to be incrementaly small at times :). The KDE noise
at startup is an improvement. I feel like I did a while back when
patches for the emu10k2 first hit the street. When you have patches,
you know the way forward may not be a straight line.

Thanks,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart