Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 19:45:30 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Jackson <muck@ida.net>, "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WordPerfect 8.0 For Linux works :-)

> Possibly. It'd be even nicer if Corel would allow
> the free version to be a package. Jordan, could
> you step forward and ask Corel's CEO about this?

You should do some more research on this; Corel are repackaging for
bundling deals.  At this time, I don't think they'll come at packaging
non-bundled deals (they might; we should let the Linux folks fight this
one for now).

> On the other hand, what if the user has bought
> the non-free intermediate or professional versions
> of the product? (One of the things they include in
> these versions, as I understand it, is a nice
> collection of Adobe Type 1 fonts -- the same ones
> they distribute with Ventura.) We'd want something
> that tweaks the installation of the CD-ROM versions.

The user gets an application that doesn't live within the packaging
system's scope.  That kinda sucks, but WP is pretty polite about where
things live, and it's not really that difficult to manage it.

> >> and BRANDS THE BINARIES?
> >
> >Not required.
>
> So far, I've never encountered a Linux binary that ran reliably under
> FreeBSD unless it was branded.

You can't be using much then.  The only things that need to be branded
are static binaries, and the only thing I can think of that comes like
that in the way of commercial software these days is Visual SlickEdit
(and I've already spoken to them about it, as well as sent them a copy
 of the brandelf source).  VSE is actually pretty nice, if a bitch to
install.