Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 21:12:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Conlen <darthtuttle@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   packaging up a kernel hack

Maybe it's because it's late and I've been hacking,
but I haven't seen a good doc on what to do when you
have a neat kernel hack you want to share with the
rest for the world. This hack *needs* an option. Most
people don't need it, and it will give you BIG log
files, but I haven't figure out how to create options
yet. Any doc pointers?

As for the hack, once I create an option for it, I'd
like to submit the hack for the rest of the world to
use. Someone's bound to find it handy. The hack is a
command logger. That's right, it logs commands using a
kernel printf(); example...

Aug  9 03:10:49 eno /kernel: exec: uid:0 pid:353 ->
pid->354 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start

This is an example of process 353 starting process
354, which is /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh with the
args start.

Now, if you were remotely logging and someone broke in
to your box, this would be kinda handy me thinks.
Point me to the urls for the docs and I'll package
everything up nice and easy for whoever handles it.

Thanks

--
Groove on Dude
Michael Conlne