Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:04:28 +0100
From:      Christian Gusenbauer <c47g@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Bernhard =?iso-8859-1?q?Fr=F6hlich?= <decke@freebsd.org>, CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 AMD64 multitasking efficiency low

On Tuesday 12 February 2013 13:11:12 CeDeROM wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:35 PM, CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl> wrote:
> > I can work on VESA xorg driver, I can have no multimedia drivers, but
> > the system performance is really important factor for me and working
> > like this is really unpleasant on a pretty modern machine :-(
>
> I made a short movie to show how bad this looks :-) After some time of
> moving data from ext2 sata partition to ufs2 usb partition I have
> started Xorg, the speed is a disaster, then I have shutdown the Xorg,
> stopped file transfer and starter Xorg again, things were okay, then
> started transfer again and things get worse and worse again...
>
> http://youtu.be/5pLODViX3JY
>
> Now when all of the data are back on the sata drive with UFS2 things
> seems a lot better. Do you think this may be the EXT2 issue? Still
> when swap starts working there is a slowdown to the whole system.
>
> What are recommended flags to build the kernel for efficiency?
>
> Does debug symbols in kernel can slow things down?
>
> Any hints welcome! :-)
> Tomek

Hi!

Maybe it's hardware related? I experience the same slowness as you do as soon
as I copy more than a few MB of data *on the same drive*. It doesn't make any
difference if the destination is on the same filesystem or not. When the copy
is done, everything is back to normal. Recently I bought a new drive for doing
backups which I connect via eSata. Now guess what: copying data on that drive
does not affect the performance of the system! But copying data from that
drive to the old one renders the machine unusable as soon as the write starts.

Here's the dmesg output of my old drive:

ada0 at ahcich2 bus 0 scbus2 target 0 lun 0
ada0: <WDC WD3200AAKS-22B3A0 01.03A01> ATA-8 SATA 2.x device
ada0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
ada0: Command Queueing enabled
ada0: 305245MB (625142448 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)
ada0: Previously was known as ad0

and here the one of the new drive:

ada1 at ahcich0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
ada1: <WDC WD20EARX-00MMMB0 80.00A80> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device
ada1: 150.000MB/s transfers (SATA 1.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)
ada1: Command Queueing enabled
ada1: 1907729MB (3907029168 512 byte sectors: 16H 63S/T 16383C)
ada1: Previously was known as ad1

My motherboard is an ASUS P5B-E.

Do you have an external drive which you can use for a test?

Ciao,
Christian.