Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 00:27:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        drwho@xnet.com (drwho)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD Boot problem: 3.1-R

drwho wrote,
> When attempting to boot from CDROM (it's a Toshiba SCSI CDROM), the boot
> loaded begins, but when it starts to load the kernel, it fails and complains
> that it cannot find the kernel.  Running "ls" at the boot prompt returns
> a message about "/: no such file or directory".  I seem to recall it
> mentioned something about "device not configured", too...  To me, this
> could only mean that it doesn't see my cdrom, but if that's the case, then
> how did it begin the boot process?  Also, it has been said that the typical
> Toshiba SCSI CDROM should have no problem being recognized.

Your BIOS starts up and reads the bootstrap code off the SCSI
CDROM. Now the bootstrap takes over. The boot code on the CD assumes
that it is running on a IDE CDROM. So it goes to look for the kernel
on the IDE CDROM and... well, there is no kernel there. You can try
entering the proper location at the boot prompt (something like,
1:sd(0,1,a)), but I am not sure if SCSI CDROMs are supported for
booting.

> I also attempted a CD boot on another machine with a cheesy, but
> compatible, IDE CDROM, and it too failed -- however, it didn't get quite
> so far.

A lot of people have trouble when the IDE CDROM is on a secondary
controller or if it is a slave with no master. And just for
completeness, the CDROM is listed as a boot device in the BIOS?

> Does this mean there's a problem with the boot sector on the Walnut Creek
> 3.1-RELEASE CD?

Not unless your CD has been damaged.

> I have not yet attempted to install via floppy-boot, to see if it will read
> the CDROM... I'll try that later... but I would like to know if there's
> any reason why the CD boot should fail...?

Many, many possible ways to fail.